.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The New England Times

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Coyne's Clippings

Just one comment on Games 1 and 2, its a best of seven series, not a best of three. So you go out there, you can only win one game Friday night. That's all you can do right now, so focus on it, and only it.


Bob Ryan has an article that's its always something with the Sox, and its never easy. Dan Wetzel has this recap, which includes this bizarre exchange...


When asked about the "Who's your daddy?" – reference to a previous bizarre Martinez answer – Pedro smiled.

"You know what, it actually made me feel really, really good," Martinez said.

There was laughter.

"I don't know why you guys laugh," he said. "I actually realized I was somebody important because I caught the attention of 60,000 people, plus you guys, plus the whole world watching a guy that if you reverse time back 15 years ago, I was sitting under a mango tree without 50 cents to actually pay for a bus.

"And today I was the center of attention of the whole city of New York. … Even if tomorrow they are going to say, Pedro lost,' Pedro won. I had an opportunity to show everybody that I believe in God."




And the Boston Globe has an excerpt from the book, "The Rivals" by the baseball writers of the Boston Globe and New York Times, published by St. Martin's Press. Dan Shaughnessy has the byline, but I'm sure he's one of a host of contributors. This line seems to be taking on a life of its own everywhere these days, yet no one knows who came up with it...


I'm not sure who first said it, but the "rivalry" between the Yankees and the Red Sox could best be likened to the eternal contest between the hammer and the nail.


GO PROVIDENCE MEN'S BASKETBALL!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home